Respect has a default value when you entered a company without any acquaintances. This amount of respect that you possess is not enough to keep going on at work which is why it is important for you to earn it.
In order for employees to feel good about their work, it is important for them to feel that they are being respected by colleagues and even by their own boss. This comes in many forms such as respect for your space, your opinions, your time and your ideas. Many things are contributing whether you will gain respect or not. Here are the steps on how you can gain respect from others at work.
Know the indications of being respected
Knowing if you are being respected can make you understand how it feels and how it works. Here are some signs that your colleagues or your boss respect you.
- The seat that you have left is not being taken by anyone. It could be that they did not hesitate to do so even if they are standing or someone who respects you prevented others from taking the seat.
- They listen and understand every word that you say and digest your ideas. They pay attention whenever you speak.
- They ask permission from you.
- They greet you.
- You are being asked to join different activities.
- It is easy to approach people you don’t know.
- They are supportive and kind to you.
The next step is by doing the above things to others. Pay respect so that you can be respected as well. Don’t take someone’s seat, pay attention whenever someone is speaking, ask permission, greet people, be approachable, be considerate and a lot more. It is just another form of a give and take process.
Maintain your credibility
Never engage with any gossips and remove yourself from negative discussions about someone. Practice self-control and self-discipline. Those people who exhibit these practices can positively influence others. The can also get admirers in the office.
Improve your metrics and output. Being a top employee can help you from gaining your colleagues’ and your manager’s respect. Adhere to the house rules and other company regulations. Wear appropriate clothes in the office.
Respect revolving around in a workplace signifies a healthy relationship between the employees and it also suggests that a company is a very nice place to work at.