Professionalism at work is essential to enhance the workforce and increase productivity. It is also highly relevant to maintain a harmonious environment at the workplace and service efficiency. Generally, workplace etiquette evolves on the positive value of oneself, taking pride of one’s job and respect for co-workers. Furthermore, here is a list of common general professionalism rules to be followed in the workplace.
Time is the most precious commodity. Be on time always and inform the office of any delay such as when you get stuck in road traffic. Maintain a record of your hours.
Deal with office issues accordingly
Always deal with office issues accordingly through the appropriate authority channel. Avoid acting on your own especially when handling concerns at work. When the need is appropriate, discuss matters with work superiors who have the authority in the matter. Adhere to standard procedures when dealing with office issues and conflicts.
Maintain an honest honor
Always maintain an honest honor and support the company’s guideline in every possible way. Never use backbiting and gossip and other selfish means in order to achieve career promotions. Maintain confidentiality at work and never divulge company secrets whatever the situation is.
To support the workforce, observe what your fellow workers do, feel free to imitate such if it’s best for the company. However, avoid it if it is morally wrong.
- Use last names and titles when addressing your colleagues.
- Refrain from making irrelevant jokes on your work mates and do not argue with issues which are not related to your work.
- Give compliments to your fellow worker if he/she deserves it. Avoid blaming one another.
- Take the initiative. Anticipate what your superiors expect from you and never wait to be told before performing a task. However, avoid giving the impression of being bossy.
- Immediately inform your colleagues if you sense that something is not going smoothly in a project. Do not wait for the deadline to draw near before informing everyone of the defect. You may make an effort to iron out the problem. However, make sure to inform your superior immediately and value the relevance of time.
- Do not spread issues about your colleagues’ personal concerns in the workplace and do not say bad things about others at work.
- Never use your company email for sending personal emails. Exercise extra care when sending company emails.
Professional Get Up
Dress appropriately for work. Women should avoid wearing low-cut blouses and miniskirts to the office. Button shirts are fine for men, but sneakers and blue jeans should be avoided. Smarty pants, ties, blouses and long skirts create a professional notion.
Along with this, do not overload your office outfit with stunning jewelry pieces especially those that creates noise when you move or walk down the lobby in your workplace. Wear subtle jewelry pieces that compliments with your outfit for work. As much as possible never display body piercing if you have one or wear jewelries for those.
Also, keep your make up at subtle hues and so not overdo your hair. Maintain personal hygiene and make an effort to smell fresh all the time while at work.